52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

So, if you take one look at this and say, "That's not folk art!", don't be too harsh. But do tell me because I'm a newbie.

In all honesty, I'm not sure I nailed the folk art theme but I was attempting a simplified version. I thoroughly enjoyed working this way - not so much worrying about proportion and size relation and actually attempting to skew it somewhat. SO fun. 

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

I will most assuredly explore this theme further. 

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

Now I have a question for you/observation by me.

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

If you've been following this 52 Weeks of Print project from the beginning, have you noticed that as it progresses, my projects become larger and/or more involved? Case in point - compare week three with week forty-three. Right?

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

Each week I tell myself, "work small and simple, you idiot!" Yet, every single time I fail miserably. This week's theme involved simple lines - good start.

I carved it large, proving my subliminal need for more work. If it's gonna be simple, it's gonna be big. For week 48 I'll probably attempt to carve the Mona Lisa. And then plead ignorance.

52 Weeks of Print: 47/52 Folk Art

Do you have trouble just keeping things simple?

Click here to see weeks 1-46.

Comments

  1. I do! With almost everything as a matter of fact. :-)
    I really like this one, Lori.
    It looks like it must have taken "forever" to carve.
    Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - nope not forever, thank goodness! But it does seem that I've moved past my leaf carving days. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahah I adore your sense of humor, Lori ! LOL Mona Lisa !
    Yes, the size of your carving has evolved with time, and your carvings as well.
    I think you've nailed the folk art vibe. The simplicity in everyday items. Love that.
    Looking forward to seeing more !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks Sonia! I afraid that my typical dry sense of humor has people scratching their heads. I loved this project and can't wait to make more.

      Delete
  3. I always used to work big, for me it was the bigger the better, then one day without even thinking about it I started working smaller, and I've become accustomed to it.
    I love your prints and this does say 'folk art' to me. There's something simple but powerful about it that commands the eye.


    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin - the positive reinforcement provides a much needed confidence. And, oh, if only I felt more comfortable working on a larger scale - that and the natural tendency to work in 100% realism is something I've worked at breaking away from for several years now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts