52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print
Guess what? This week I put on my big girl pants and not only carved something larger, I also decided to do a hand-pulled linocut series print to sell. I know! Have to admit that the entire process freaked me out just a bit. 

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print
In all honesty, I worked pretty hard on this puppy. Remember, this is where it began. I'm thrilled that, not only did I NOT injure myself, but I also didn't spaz out with a random cut that ruined the entire thing. That's saying something, folks. So anyway, I'm doing an edition of 25 prints printed on this gorgeous mulberry paper. 

52 Weeks of Print: 43/52 Bee & Butterfly Print

Week 43 - Bee & Butterfly
(Can you believe it? I'm finally getting close!)
Click here to see the print in the shop.

To see weeks 1-42, click here.
And/or you can follow along on Instagram or Pinterest.

Tootles! Hope you have a spectacularly spring-like week.


Comments

  1. Hi ya, so I've been loosely following your blog for a bit and have been thinking to myself that I need to take the time to go back and see all of you wonderful weeks of carving. So I finally did that and loved all of it.
    I recently carved my first block, inspired by you little bee and honeycombs. I had a question for you, how do you transfer your drawings onto your blocks? I've noticed that in a few of your drawings are not at all like what you've carved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, and thank you! So glad you're enjoying the series. As for transferring images, for an exact image I usually trace my image onto tracing paper. You can then redraw it in pencil on the backside or just flip it over and rub the pencil marks onto the carving block. Sometimes I will make a new sketch onto the carving block inspired by my original drawing or some other shape. That's when it won't be exactly like the inspired piece but close. Hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have other questions.

      Delete
  2. Loving this one beyond words, Lori !!! It is splendid ! Two thumbs up from me !!!
    Happy Leap Day !
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, it is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, now that you offered, yes I do have more questions ��
    I am in the process of creating my first reduction print. I decided to carve each block individual because I'm not brave enough to carve my little block down to nothing and I was set up to print a large number of prints. Good thing too. I'm using acrylic paint to print with and I'm having trouble with the second plate lifting the first later if paint up. I did about 8 prints and I think only one might look decent. One more plate to go. Any suggestions on how to get the consistency correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! Hm...My first thought is that you need to give the first layer of paint sufficient time to dry completely. What brand of paint are you using?

      Delete
  5. Sorry, that should say "wasn't" set up to print large number....

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are truly beautiful! Thinking you have done a marvelous job on them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori, I am using Martha stewart craft paint. For my final plate I tried mixing it with some retarded to slow the drying and a little gel medium for column but still had issues. Not so much with lifting this time but with coverage. Have you ever used clear linoleum? It's made by Richerson I think. I ask because when i printed with it it seemed to push the paint to the side instead of depositing paint where I wanted it to, does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have seen the clear linoleum but I haven't tried it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts