Sketchbook: Pastel and Pen

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

I've always been afraid of pastels and suppose it's because I never received a formal introduction. They remain a mystery to me. Bought a book years ago - still afraid. Picked up a set of pencils. Afraid. 

Have you been challenged by a technique? Feel comfort with the knowledge that I probably have you beaten as it only took around 20 years to put pencil to paper.

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

Now, I know that I'm not using official pastel paper but having laid down a layer of matte acrylic paint, I figured it had enough tooth. With my unschooled eye, I think the tooth was sufficient.

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

I'm not quite getting the process of layering. Do you go dark to light or light to dark? I opted to go with the former and had an issue getting a lighter layer on top. (missing fixative will do that) Hence, the white gel pen. Hey. It's my journal and if I want to break a rule or two, I will.

Still...

A question to you pastelers (pastelists?) out there. Dark to light or light to dark?

Sketchbookery: Pastel & Pen

Materials:
I used a regular mechanical pencil for sketching and generic acrylic craft paint as well.


Comments

  1. I've never used pastels for the same reason, just find it so daunting to learn a new medium! I think what you've created is really beautiful, the colour palette is sublime!

    Kelly | MYFAIRPIXEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. At first I said that's it for me but I think I'll give it another go.

      Delete
  2. Quite a nice painting. Love your background. Is it paint or pastel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! Thanks. The background was painted in with cheapo acrylic craft paints - the ones you find in a bottle for about $1 each. :)

      Delete
  3. Lori, I think this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
    I love the colors, and although I know nothing about sketching, painting, etc., I would say you have this mastered, and if not, you have surely created a beautiful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Lori! I used to use soft pastels a lot and love them. I used the pencils along with the soft ones, and it was easier to get coverage of highlights with the soft. What you did came out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts