Sketchbookery, Sources of Inspiration, a Few Books (and lots of links)

Art Journal: Quiet Minds

I've been dabbling. Motivation is still a huge factor but I keep the sketchbook, paints and brushes close at hand as a constant reminder. It's encouraging to see that this sketchbook is slowly but surely filling.

As for my online sketchbook, I'd prefer that it be complete. That it include the good, the bad and the ugly. Because, let's face it, ugly does rear it's head. Plus it makes the good so much sweeter! Annnnywaaaay...

Art Journal: Quiet Minds

The beginning and middle of this one was an epic fail. But then I decided to go back and plow through, paint over and outline. It's a meh. Love the quote though. 


Favorite Art Accessory - Artist's Pouch

I can't leave my love for the artist's pouches buried. I currently have four in use. So, one day I did a rather crude sketch. This awesome eraser made it into the sketch as well. 

Favorite Art Accessory - Artist's Pouch

Favorite Art Accessory - Artist's Pouch

Same materials as above. Minus the white get pen and adding in a couple of Derwent Watercolor Pencils. Those are pretty darned wonderful, too. Ever try them? Learn how here.
Intense Love in White & Turquoise
This was my quote for February. I wrote it again using blue and green watercolors then topped with said white Uni-Ball Gel pen. Have I said that this gel pen is the bomb? No?

Art Journal - White on Navy

The Uni-Ball pen. It's the finest opaque white pen I've found to date. Hence the over usage. Pretty sure I needed to cover up a horrid mistake so blue craft paint covered the background. It was shiny. I probably won't use it again. 

Art Journal - White on Navy

My Favorite Sources for Art Journal Inspiration are:

Book: An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers

Artist's Blogs:
Tommy Kane - His gorgeous sketches and dry sense of humor kill me.
Liz Steel - Think loose teacup paintings alongside striking architectural renderings.
August Wren - Her commitment, creativity and ability to churn out daily paintings blow my mind.
Dispatch from LA - Pure entertainment and inspiration.

For a smattering of inspiration:
My Sketch & Journal Pinterest Page

And in other news...

Reading. It's my kryptonite. I collect books from thrift shops but prefer my Kindle Paperwhite. You know how some people sleep with their cell phones? I practically sleep with my Kindle. I'm not advertising for them but it is the best thing since sliced bread - I kid you not. I get free (and not so free) books through Amazon as well as digital books through my local library. YES, you can check out digital books from your local library. (see below)

A few recents:

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller*
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr*
The Exceptions and The Girl She Used to Be both by David Cristofano*

*From this list you can clearly see that I adore odd love stories involving but not limited to post apocalyptic worlds, wars and the mafia.

Click here to find out if you can check out digital books from your local library.

So.

Did you get all that?

Comments

  1. I love my Kindle too! I knew I could check out library books but have never done it! I should get started reading borrowed books. Also have to try those gel pens. Never done that either. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, love all your links and thanks for the book recommendations, am particularly intrigued by The Dog Stars. Off to buy a white gel pen now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again WOW L. :)

    So busy and creating beautiful work :)

    I LOVE all the linked and am bookmarking, you make me feel like a slacker :)

    You have all my fav. art supplies :) I got a set of the watercolour pencils one Christmas and they are good for me to apply myself to some concentrated work but I guess I am so into using my fav. Winsor & Newton inks in my abstracts that I rarely use the pencils in my bigger artwork. (Now, I just wish everything wasn't in storage, the joys of moving. :(

    Awesome blog post, thanks so much for all the beautiful, it truly cheered me up and got me wanting to be painting again soon, Cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts