My Sketchbook: Finding My Style (and being okay with it)

Finding Your Style

Painting realistically is what I do. I'm comfortable with that. But for some time now, I've wanted to change things up. I admire artists such as Yao Cheng, Jennifer Orkin Lewis and Emily Jeffords

Finding Your Style

So I strive to work more loosely, using vibrant colors - sometimes even applying paint (gasp) without an initial sketch. Creative challenges are a wonderful thing, aren't they? This is why will I continue to try and break out of that comfort zone. Can it be done?

This quick painting, for instance, began with the intention of directly applying color and leaving out detail. Then my natural tendency to add just a little more took over. Not too much detail, but more than I'd intended.

Finding Your Style

And you have no idea how much restraint it took to take the background color to a certain point, leaving a white buffer between it and the flower. No idea. Totally foreign. 

Finding Your Style

Not so sure that I'll ever be able to paint with complete abandon. But I'm secure enough in my imperfection to accept this. Yep. I may be okay with that. 

It won't, however, keep me from trying to paint "outside of the lines".  Next time.

How about you? Have you tried to crawl out of your comfort zone?  How did it go?

Comments

  1. You definitely did not fail, Lori!
    This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style, Lori! I am having trouble even settling on a style... I think I need more practice to even advance toward finding a style. Your blog has been so inspiring. I'm so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lana! I'll bet your style is already present. I don't think it's something we choose but rather something we are.

      Delete
    2. You are right... I never thought of that. I need to "be okay with it" as you brought out in your post. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. You know I think your style is terrific! I love the white along the edges, the details of the petals, the color choices and the soft wash of the background. I have embarked on a new journey that has me thinking of you all the time! I am enrolled in an online mixed media art class called LifeBook 2015. I will be detailing my journey this year on my blog. But last week the lesson was from Joanne Sharpe, the mistress of whimsical lettering. That lit a fire under me! So much that I had to go and buy her book and a 96 pen set of Tombow markers. I have always, always admired watercolor. The look, the style, the colors. But have always been daunted by the medium (never really tried it). But these markers (and the Neocolor crayons I have) are so cool! Opening up a new world to me. I have always known that I wanted to be an 'artful wordsmith' (as Joanne describes herself). I studied calligraphy. I collect quotes. I love lettering styles and fonts. And now I can finally put that all together! I have made my first marks on paper and they are so awesome, needs a bit more refining, but a great start! And thanks for that recommendation on the white pen... I am looking for one and that is the one that Joanne recommends! I am so looking forward to where this will lead me. So excited for the possibilities! Happy creative new year, Miss Lori! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts