from the kitchen: beef with snow peas

from the kitchen
Do you have a favorite cook? Cooking show?

When Pioneer Woman joined Food Network I thought it would be all cuteness and no substance. After catching a few shows, I am madly in love with her. Truly.

For example...Barefoot Contessa (love her too) advises using homemade chicken stock, PW says, "let's be real, the stuff from the carton works fine". That sealed the deal for me.

I sometimes substitute the snow peas for broccoli - whatever is on sale. (Just something to keep in mind.)

Here it is, a little tweaked according to our gluten free standards, but basically copied. :)

(I would advise doubling the sauce - it's that good)

- 1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce (we use San J)
- 3 tbs. cooking sherry
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger 
- 1 1/2 lb. flank steak (skirt steak works, too), trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
- 3 tbs. peanut oil
- 8 oz. fresh snow peas, trimmed (or broccoli)
- 5 whole scallions, cut into 1/2" pieces (first time we used scallions, second we used regular onions)
- crushed red pepper
- it calls for salt but don't use it! the soy makes this a fairly salty dish as is
- jasmine rice (we used brown), cooked according to package directions

Note: As I substituted broccoli for snow peas, you could also substitute chicken for steak or just go all out veggies. The important thing to take away is the sauce and technique. Enjoy!

Directions:

In a bowl, mix together the sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar and ginger. Add the beef to a separate bowl and pour about 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Save the rest of the liquid. Toss the beef and set aside (I did this about 1 hour before cooking and put it in the refrigerator. I think she only does it for a few minutes).

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) over high heat. Add the snow peas or broccoli and stir fry for 45 seconds to bring out the color. Remove and set to the side.

Allow the skillet to get very hot again. With tongs add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the liquid in the bowl. Spread out the meat as you add it to the skillet and DO NOT move it for a good minute.
(You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount of time as possible.) Sprinkle half the scallions over the meat. Flip the meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.

Repeat with the other half of the meat, allowing the skillet to get very hot again first. After flipping, add the first plateful of meat, the reserved liquid, the crushed red papper and veggies. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, and then turn off the heat. Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it (but it won't). The mixture will thicken as it sits.

Serve immediately over rice.

Take a bow.


Comments

  1. This sounds delicious, Lori.
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful Lori, who is my favorite cook, well me :):), I was a cook for a living and a good one if I might add. It makes going out to eat uummm not great since I know what they did and used, hard to find a good restaurant in my city...
    It just takes practice and anybody can cook, your dish sound great.. Thanks for sharing Sweety have a wonderful holiday weekend big hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading Ree's blog for quite a few years. I cut and save some of her recipes. They are well liked. Like you, I substitute. I have used boxed broth, but I currently have two bags of bones and trimmings in the freezer to make my own broth. It is cheaper, I control the salt, and it is also easier than lugging those boxes up the stairs. I highly recommend Smitten Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts