comfy kale soup with kielbasa, veggies & beans

soup collage1
One of the perks of cooler weather is comfort food and this recipe doesn't disappoint.  It's basically a mash-up of several recipes. I went for the richer version this weekend (don't judge) but later I may try to slim it up a bit. Or not.

I went a little heavy on the kale, as you can tell from the pictures so, like me, feel free to adjust your ingredients according to preference. Isn't that the best way to cook anyway?

Ingredients:
-most are approximates according to the veggies I had on hand-

6 oz. of kielbasa
1 tbs. olive oil
(all veggies are cut into about  1/2" - 1" pieces)
3/4 lb. carrots
1 large onion
2 stalks celery
4 oz. mushrooms
1 garlic clove, minced
8 c. broth (I used 4-vegetable stock and 4 chicken)
4-5 small potatoes
2 cans cannolini beans, drained and rinsed
one bunch of kale with the ribs removed and torn into bite sized pieces
1 tsp. smoked paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 c. heavy cream

Cut the kielbasa into 1/2" pieces.
Combine with olive oil into a large soup pot over medium heat until browned.
Remove from pot and set aside.

Into the original pot, add carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms.
Season this layer with salt & pepper.
Saute about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and saute another minute.

Add broth, potatoes, kale, beans, paprika, s&p.
Add the kielbasa back onto the mixture.
Bring to a slow boil and then cover and simmer for a good long time.
Or for about 30 minutes.
(I did a good long time, thus the condition of the kale in the images)

Add the heavy cream about 15 minutes or so before serving.
Enjoy with a crusty loaf of bread, salad, sammy,
glass of wine...milk...margarita...
whatever floats your boat.
Just enjoy.

IMG_83532c


Comments

  1. Yum, I'll eat just about anything with kielbasa and beans. Cool and rainy here this might be just what I need for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...looks delicious. I agree - I love soup on a cold day. My family isn't big on kale, but I like it.

    Hey, did you know I've been writing a cooking post on my book blog each weekend?

    Here are some of the recent cooking posts:

    http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

    Hope you have a good week!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it sure looks healthy and tasty, especially in the cold winter months

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts