stamp making for fun, one oh one

IMG_8174c
This is most definitely "stamping 101" as I am of the inexperienced sort.  If fact, I haven't stamped or printed since college printmaking and not only am I not telling you how long that's been,  it was also an entirely different printmaking ballgame. This is a much easier, totally addictive way to play and use your imagination.

To begin, sketch a design onto paper using a pencil, or if you're comfy, sketch directly onto your block. Your design can be as simple as circles, blocks, or lines.  I drew a simple flower. 

IMG_8147c

If you've drawn your design onto paper, turn the paper face down over your carving block and rub over the design to transfer the image. I used this block for carving, but you can go as simple as carving into an everyday block eraser.

I initially dug out my old woodcarving tools (shown above) and they worked fairly well. But this little, all-in-one Speedball tool (shown below) was the bomb.

IMG_8144c

studio waterstone blog - stamping for fun 101
I used this type of ink and first tested the print on scrap paper.  Any areas which need to be more deeply carved will show up.

IMG_8156c
Using fabric ink allows for block printing on fabric. I've stamped here onto scrap linen.

studio waterstone blog - stamping for fun 101
tags

IMG_8158c
kraft paper

IMG_8169c
Yep - I'm seriously addicted now.

Comments

  1. So happy that you put up your tutorial, "stamp making for fun one oh one".
    I was just talking about this with one of my girls.
    I know this will be so much fun.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may *feel* inexperienced in stamp making but the result of your work looks beautiful! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE carving stamps! Genine Zlatkis has a new book out on carving stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome-I love that you created your own stamp! It is a stunning design, hard to believe it is your first one! Thanks for the link to the carving blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, beautiful job. I love hand made paper and great tip for printing on fabric. Does the ink remain permanent, I wonder ? I am excitedly waiting for my carver, book and rubber to be delivered from Amazon. Should be interesting... I am not really a drawer! You are such a talented girl!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, your stamp carving is incredible, in design and technique! I have done a few, but I am a bit too shaky and uneven with these hands. I do love every way you have used them too....so pretty!
    And as I scroll down your watercolor art tempts me everytime....it is gorgeous! I see that mini palate and want to rush right out and buy one, and I really suck at watercolors! You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts