Room Re-Deux (and a Great Thrifting Score)
Hi there and happy Monday! I don't know about you, but lately our weekends have been filled with exploring the new surroundings and a desperate desire to bring our rental into the 21st century. Happily, this weekend we did a little of the earlier and a lot of the latter. Come see...
Jeff fell in love with this gigantic black & white image so I said, "Yes Dear, I agree. No Dear, it's not too big." It's huge. And even though it's wider than our newly topped table, I kind of love it. Notice the drapes? No more dated sheers and our bay window has been unveiled. (Ikea picture $49, drapes $25: satisfaction = priceless)
Now for the score of the month... We had searched high and low, new and old, for kitchen chairs with no luck until we stopped in at a used furniture shop on Saturday and found these - vintage Hitchcock chairs covered in dust and at $15 a pop, they were a steal - literally. I am in love with them. (We have the 1932-43 chairs as the seat backs read, "Hitchcock, Alford & Co. Hitchcocks-ville. Conn. Warranted." with the "N's" printed backwards.)
And then (late) yesterday afternoon, we sat back to admire our weekend work. And snoozed.
How was your weekend? Work on anything new?
I would LOVE to find some old Hitchcock chairs. I have four but would really like 8. Jealous. The ceiling fixture would not have bothered me as long as I could get rid of the brass with some ORB paint! I spent the weekend sewing. Made a gorgeous tote that I can't sell because it took so much time to make it that if I came close to charging for all the labor people would think I had lost my mind. Doesn't matter - I am happy to carry it! (And when people ask - they do - how much I would charge to make one I just tell them it is a "one of a kind" piece!)
ReplyDeleteSuzan, since it's a rental, we can't paint the light fixtures...so they just magically...disappeared. Would LOVE to see your new tote! And I really can relate to the labor thing.
ReplyDeleteBeautifulness in the new space!
ReplyDeleteAs my family was out of town this weekend, I spent it doing ONLY WHAT I WANTED TO! It was absolutely glorious.
Hitchcock chairs? $15 a pop? I'm dead I tell ya, dead.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the IKEA additions! :)
I love your spirit of adventure and the way that these treasures seem to find you! I need to do a bit of this myself. My home is not dated so much as just a blank canvas in most places. But there always seems to be something else to do. I so wish that I had an Ikea within 2 hours of me (4 at least). I would be there all the time. But we are getting a TJ Maxx in my little burg soon. Can't wait! I did work on the most awesome project this weekend. A wonderful opportunity and something amazing that came of it. But I can't reveal it...yet. And I delivered wedding jewelry to a friend about to be married. She gasped when she opened the box, so my gift to her is a success. Enjoy the day. Erin
ReplyDeleteHoly crap! Hitchcock chairs for $15. a piece! You lucky, lucky, girl! I see so many wonderful things that people post about IKEA furniture for their homes and studios, so wish there was one near us. Think the closest one is about 3 1/2 hrs away. The updates look great!
ReplyDeleteYou got a FAB bargain! Whoo Hoo! I'd keep going back to that store. You might find more.
ReplyDeleteMeg- Holly Springs Ga
Looking good! I love how it looks all warm and cozy :)
ReplyDelete