diy ombre scarf

Gorgeously dyed ombre scarves seem to be popping up everywhere - and you know how I love me some scarves.  They're an essential accessory in my book not to mention fabulous for hiding extra skin. As a result of this love, I've saved a couple of tutorials from my wearable diy Pinterest board over here and here.  

Now, I have to admit that this is more of a mash up of what I've found on Pinterest and is so easy that it barely qualifies as a tutorial.  At any rate, I love the results and want to pass this along to you.  

collageredo1

what I used:
- knit fabric which comes about 60" wide.  I cut it to a width of about 24"
- fabric dye
- large glass bowl or plastic tub (although plastic could stain)
- 1 cup of salt
- rubber gloves

studio waterstone diy ombre scarf

what I did:
(okay.  don't blink or you'll miss it)



Fill your container with hot water and add the salt.  Allow to dissolve.
Add desired amount of dye.  I used what I had left - about 1/2 bottle.

If you use knit, you won't have to hem the edges.  Told you this was easy.
(You could, literally, stop here if you wanted a basic scarf)

Wet the fabric to help the dye blend smoothly.
Fold the fabric in half and dip the end pieces into the tub about 1/3 of the way up.
Leave in for a few minutes (5 to 7-ish)

Add about 1/3 more of the fabric leaving the last third out.
Leave that in for a few minutes.  (I didn't time it but just kept checking for the desired effect)

Remove fabric and rinse with warm water until the water runs clear.
Hang up to dry.  That's it!

photo
(my instagram pic)


embellishments:
It's pretty enough to stop here, but it you want to add something, 
here's what I did.
I decided to add a rough blanket stitch to the ends using embroidery thread.

studio waterstone diy ombre scarf
The picture above is a more accurate account of the final colors.

studio waterstone diy ombre scarf

IMG_4139 copy



Comments

  1. GORGEOUS! You are so talented, I love to see all of your creations (the accessories are my favorite)! After all, handbags are my weakness! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice... I was just thinking about dyeing some curtains. I LOVE the photo of the dog in the last post...I swear you have my dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace of cake but with chic result *nice to try*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts