chicken tortilla soup with chipoltle & fire roasted tomatoes

I'm borderline obsessive over Mexican food and during the cooler months I'm full-on obsessive over soup. So, when the two are combined, I'm in heaven.

I recently found this delicious recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup and feel compelled to share with the rest of the class as it's become my new favorite. It most assuredly will not disappoint.

studio waterstone blog

I'm also an avocado freak pairing the soup with simple avocado and cheese quesadillas.


Chicken Tortilla Soup with Chipotle and Fire Roasted Tomatoes
(original recipe is from Foodnetwork)

1 lb. chicken tenders (I used 2 bone-in chicken breasts)
3 c. gluten-free, low sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf (I used dried)
4 slices of bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, then 2 tbs. of the sauce
1 28 oz. can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
lightly crushed corn tortilla chips
shredded mozzarella and sharp cheddar
chopped cilantro (optional, for garnish)
avocado (optional)
flour or corn tortillas (optional, for quesadilla)
if it's too hot, you can cool it off with a little sour cream

***

Poach chicken in chicken broth with bay leaf.

While the chicken poaches, cook bacon in a soup pot over medium-high heat until crisp.
Remove bacon.

Drain off excess fat, leaving 2 to 3 tablespoons in the pan. Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes then stir in chipotles and tomatoes.

Remove chicken from stock, dice and then add to soup.

Pass stock through a strainer then add to the soup.

Serve topped with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Or substitute the tortilla chips, as I did, with a crisp avocado and cheese quesadilla.

studio waterstone blog

Enjoy!

Pin It



Comments

  1. This looks so good, definitely want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic and you won me over with the avocado! If I didn't know better I'd think I was pregnant with the avocado cravings lately (I'm not!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished dinner and you've got my mouth watering all over again! This looks absolutely fabulous. I do love me some Mexican food too. The avacado quesidillas sounds amazing. I wish the hubs like avacado the way I do....thanks for the yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! Perfect for colder weather. I love avocados, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so yummy, especially on a cold day like today. It snowed!

    Our little grocery doesn't have a few of the key ingredients, so I'll have to make do with something similar.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - that looks gorgeous - to look at and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to give this a try. Thanks for the recipe. You cook some nice colors :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts