diy easy scarf tutorial

Fall is in the air and scarves are on the brain. I am, after all, a scarf fanatic, with an entire section on Pinterest devoted to the subject. This is one of my favorite scarf tutorials to date.

It has affordability, softness, comfort, and simplicity all rolled into one. I love it. So much so that the model and I were fighting over said scarf. So, I made a second one for me...which she'll probably take.

scarfcollage
You like? It's an extra large - which is good for a project like this.

What You'll Need:
Dress (or skirt) with a wide bottom section, similar to the one shown above
Sewing machine

What You'll Do:

Lay the dress out flat with the front and back hem together at the bottom.
I made two scarves, one wider and one narrower.

IMG_9564
For the narrow scarf, measure 12" from the hem and cut straight across.


IMG_9567
For the wider scarf, measure 20" from the hem and cut straight across.


IMG_9570
Fold the fabric over with wrong sides facing (right side on the outside) and pin.

IMG_9572
Set your machine to a zig-zag stitch. I set it for wider stitches with a medium stitch length.


IMG_9573
Stitch around the entire pinned section. It will naturally pull if the fabric is knit, like mine, creating a wonderful ruffling of the edge. In fact, the harder you pull, the more ruffle you'll get.

And that's it! No, really, that's it!


IMG_9587
On the wider scarf, I only stitched the seam closed.


IMG_9588
On the narrower scarf, I zigzagged around both edges because I loved the ruffled effect.


DIY Easy Scarf Tutorial

Now, run to your closet and dig out that old skirt or dress. Then play. A lot.

Comments

  1. I LOVE it! I wish I was a seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is way cool! Do not tempt me into another addiction please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Need to get that sewing machine out. Right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful! have to share with my daughter, she is the seamstress in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, time to dust off the old sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Lori!
    Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts