earth shattering, life or death kind of questions

Denzel Washington was the subject of this past week's sermon. Nice subject, huh? Okay, maybe that's a stretch. The sermon discussed one of his books called, "A Hand to Guide Me".

We were encouraged to look back and pinpoint the one person who made a positive impact on our life's course, whether it was a constant presence or a 15 minute encounter. Then we were asked to write a letter thanking this particular person and explaining the difference they made.

Personally, the one who immediately popped into my head was James Biggers, my junior high art teacher. His encouragement at such a young age let me know that I was good enough. For me, he began the path for a lifetime of art.

Now it's your turn. Whose hand guided you?
And would you consider a thank you, if this person is still around?


Comments

  1. Awww the first person I though of was an ex boyfriends mother - she took me in like one of her own and treated me like one of the family - it was a huge gift for me who didn't really have family of my own. I wish she was still around. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would probably have to be two people, actually three to make a whole picture.

    My Grandmother who took me to church.

    Mrs. Doll, my kindergarten Sunday School teacher who taught me John 3:16.

    Jesus Christ who paid the price for my sins and set me free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person that automatically came to mind for me was also my high school art teacher, Donovan Goode. He's still around and we are actually friends now. He must've been straight out of college teaching us because I've been out of HS 15 years and he only just turned 40 this year LOL He was so encouraging to all of his students but especially to me when deciding to go to school for fashion design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea very much of writing a letter to this person. Often I think sitting down to put words on a page is a very powerful gesture. My Gramma (oma) was the quiet refuge and ultimately guide through a stormy childhood. She was and is always there for me. I never got to thank her before she died and writing down my gratitude would feel good. Thank you for this opportunity for introspection and moment of mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to say my mother. She taught me how to fish, cook, play cribbage, drink black tea and not to be afraid to try new things.

    I do have to say my father taught me much as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh.
    Luckily I have a huge list! I've been blessed with so many.
    ~Ms. Snyder {my art teacher fan}
    ~My Mom continually props me up...
    ~An ex's Mother here too.
    ~Lately it's been, oddly enough, the true Me. I've ignored my true self for so long that when she popped up, around the New Year, everything changed. For the better.
    Great question Lori.

    Your new bags are wonderful! Love the inner pockets. Now I ask you, When are the DSLR bags coming out? ;)

    xo

    {ps.Thanks for the insight into my dream...A few things have been beyond me lately...}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts