featuring studio spaces: kristi bowman of kristi bowman designs


It's time for Featuring Studio Spaces! Each week we will feature an artist and his or her creative space. We'll gather lots of juicy tidbits ranging from inspiration to design and functionality.

This week we're talking with jewelry artist, Kristi Bowman of Kristi Bowman Designs. Like so many artists, Kristi's design space evolved and expanded over time and I think you'll really love hearing her story and seeing her studio space.


Photobucket

Kristi, tell us a little about the work you do in your studio.

I started out mainly working with PMC (Precious Metal Clay), starting with silver and adding bronze and copper in to the mix within the first year. I love working with the clay, even after several years I'm still fascinated at the process of firing it and having it turn in to pure silver (bronze or copper)! In the beginning I started this shop on Etsy and when I added so much bead work to my routine I created a this Artfire shop.

Photobucket


In trying to add color to my metal work I began adding beads and stones to my work. Now I'm totally addicted to beads as well. I opened a second shop just to sell my beaded work. I'm also experimenting with enameling and using colored patinas as well. I feel I've stretched myself a little thing these days but I love all of these things so it's very hard to leave one out! I also do a bit of fold forming and lots of forging, making many of my own components this way. In the very near future I will also be making PMC components to sell to people to use in creating their own jewelry pieces.

Photobucket

Did you have a specific inspiration when organizing your space?

Organizing, what's that? This is still one of the most difficult things for me, usually I have piles and piles of stuff I'm constantly digging through to find the things I want. Every few months I say NO MORE and I attempt to clean and organize, but it never lasts for long. Forever a work in progress.

What’s your biggest issue with storage/organization/design?

Photobucket

Definitely keeping track of my beads, I have an amazing printer cabinet that keeps all my beads. But I still have trouble keeping track of what is what and where I got it from. I like to share where bits and pieces come from when I list a finished piece so people can purchase themselves if they want to.

Photobucket

Is there something that you’re constantly having to work on overcoming and what have you done/do you do to rectify this situation?

Definitely the mess, See question 2 :)

Photobucket

Do you use/prefer/need artificial light or natural light?

Would prefer natural light, but that's often difficult to come by in the Pacific Northwest. When I have the opportunity and enough sunlight I load up jewelry and photo props and head out to my green house which is by far the best place for me to take pictures.

As far as work space, it nearly always ends up being artificial light, just no way around that.

How has your creative space evolved over time?

Photobucket

It began on the dining room table, everything was swept in to a single plastic storage bin when necessary. Then I moved in to a spare bedroom and had a desk and a little bit of extra work space. When we purchased our new home I got an entire bedroom to my own, quickly outgrew that and moved in to what was our unused living room which I adore. Still very messy no matter how much space I have and I also spill out in to other parts of the house at times. It's pretty crazy!

Photobucket
(My Miniature Long Haired Dachshunds Ginger and Shasta in one of their favorite spots to hang out when I'm in my studio, on the shelf under my soldering table. They have a cozy blanket and a big window to look out, when they are not sleeping that is.)


How has having your own creative space affected your work?

I never could have added so many different modalities to my work without more space. I know people out there who do it but I honestly think it would have crippled me creatively.

*****

Thanks so much for this visit, Kristi!
Be sure to head over to Kristi's blog, Artfire, and Etsy shop to see her work.

*****

Interested in having your studio featured in Featuring Studio Spaces?
Just click the little contact button in the upper right column and we'll set it up!

Have a terrific day.

Comments

  1. I love, love, love the printer cabinet. I am definitely coveting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview and studio tour! I'm drooling over that printer drawer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great interview and the space is amazing. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW it's very exciting seeing my space featured!! I knew my printer cabinet would be a hit. It's not the best looking piece but I sure love it!! Thanks for your kind comments everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, what a great feature! Beautiful space, cute doggers, awesome pretties to look at :) Thanks for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, This is such a great space ... and you're right, you'd never be able to expand they way you have been able to. Whatever sunlight you get in the Pacific Northwest can stream right through those great windows and doors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I love Kristi's work! ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the printer's cabinet! Wonderful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristi, It was so fun to read and learn more about you! I found this through your blog.... now I have another awesome blog to follow! Great interview... love the dogs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. enjoyed the interview with Kristi and what a great studio, love the printer cabinet too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts