DIY: Recycled Leather Cuff


Photobucket

Today it's all about those cute leather cuffs. We're going to play with a small strip of recycled leather and within an hour it will be transformed into a stylish, eco-friendly leather cuff. The best part? It can be made for a few dollars or less. Let's get started.

*****

What You'll Need:
recycled piece of leather (think old handbag, belt, etc.)
raised button
scrap fabric
strong twine or thread (I used waxed linen)
colorful thread
Fray Check

either:
hammer and awl or nail
or
small drill

sewing machine with a heavy duty needle (denim or leather weight)

*****

What You'll Do:

Photobucket
I used leather from an old handbag I got from Goodwill.
Be sure to check your own closet first!

Measure: a comfy size to go around your wrist plus about 2" (for overlap)


Photobucket
Using a straight edge and rotary cutter, I cut out my strip: 8 1/4" x 1 1/2"


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Find your button. It should be raised a bit on the underside.


Photobucket
On the left: my leather and raised button.
On the right: an example of another cuff I've put together (note...this is addictive)


Photobucket
Flip your leather over and measure in about 3/4" and then center. Draw a skinny water droplet a little larger than your button.


Photobucket
You can begin the hole with your hammer and nail or awl OR
use a drill, as I did.


Photobucket
Now take your scissors and cut out the opening.


Photobucket


Photobucket
Time to pull out a few pieces of scrap fabric.


Photobucket
As you can see, my cut-outs are basic - no fancy shapes here.


Photobucket
Make sure that your heavy needle is on your machine and pull out a couple (or a few) fun colors to work with. I decided to use green and turquoise. This will be the stem.


Photobucket
Set your stitch length to the longest possible setting and adjust your tension accordingly.
Slow and steady wins the race here. You'll want to sew very slowly.


Photobucket
Be whimsical with your stitches! Not only is it prettier, it's easier.


Photobucket
This is the back. Trim your thread.


Photobucket
Use Fray Check around your fabric.


Photobucket
Time to punch a couple of holes through the leather for your button.


Photobucket
Sew the button using your linen or twine leaving about 3-4" on the end.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Tie off your linen or twine. Use a drop of glue on the knot for extra strength.


Photobucket
One.


Photobucket
Pretty.


Photobucket
Cuff.


Photobucket
Even on my man hand wrist. Now how easy was that?

The Lettered Cottage


Comments

  1. I swear, you make me want to cut up every old leather bag I own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Suzan! That's really cute, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! But that's no man hand! Skin and shape is much too nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks Carol. I'll take that compliment and run with it because I'm pretty sure that God didn't intend for me to be a hand model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was easier than it would be for me to take pics with my left hand ;)

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent tutorial! I have some leather scraps that I will have to try and trick out. Thank you for your creativity.

    Ann
    mycriticaleye.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make it look so easy. I love the cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lori....I really need to learn how to use a sewing machine... LOL! Awesome "how to"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so clever and this is so pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea and this one turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty!
    Found you through a link-up on FTLOB.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts