tutorial: a scarf from wool pants? absolutely!


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Found this fabulous pair of Banana Republic wool pants at the thrift store and it was the perfect thing for today's tutorial. The slacks are deep brown plaid with a thin strip of chartreuse running throughout. Today we're...

Making a Wool Scarf from Pants

1) Make sure that the pants have been laundered (ew) and
2) Make sure you don't have a scratchy pair of pants (ow).


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Use a seam ripper to open the outside and inside seams.


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

After ripping the outside and inside leg seams, cut off the waistband so that you are left with four long panels. Cut the panels as long as possible and about 9" wide. These measurements are not carved in stone. You can use about three lengths (end to end) for a longer scarf and two lengths for a shorter scarf.

(I'm using pinking shears to prevent raveling which in turn prevent the need for hemmed sides. If you don't have pinking shears, you can turn the seam under twice and hem OR leave it natural to ravel a bit.)


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Once cut, press your panels.


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Pin and stitch the panels together, end to end. To make the raw edges lay flat, you can fold the seam over and stitch it again. (Sorry for the picture quality. I am dealing with serious afternoon sun.)


That's it for the construction!



studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

If you'd like fringe at the ends this is where, once again, the pinking shears come in handy.
Cut about 4-6" strips on each end, about 1/2" wide.


Now for the even MORE fun part...
(as if you could have more fun)


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Dig out old fabric scraps and buttons. Begin cutting flowers and leaves. If you aren't comfy cutting flowers, then cut circles. Arrange on each end of the scarf and pin.

studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Stitch each flower and leaf into place. Have fun with your stitching because we're going to scratch up the raw edges of the flowers and leaves so that they ravel a bit.
The more whimsical, the better.


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Scratch and mess the fabric to your liking. Use your Fray Check to go around the edges so that they'll stop the raveling process.
(See my pinky claw at the bottom of the photo? Freaky, right?)

Sew colorful buttons to the center of each flower.

********************

Sewing tips:
Use a different colored bobbin thread for sewing the flowers and leaves if, like me, you have dark fabric. This way the seams won't show up on the back of the scarf.

If you want to take this scarf tutorial to the next level, line the scarf with a bold contrasting fabric. Simply pin both front and back, right sides together, then stitch all around leaving an opening to pull the right sides out. To finish stitch all around the perimeter again with a 1/4" seam allowance.

********************


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

Now you MUST model your fabulous new scarf outside in the crisp fall air with a glass of merlot...or pinot...or as is the case of my model, hot chocolate.


studio waterstone eco recycled leather handbags and accessories tutorial

...and a nice piece of raw hide.



Comments

  1. I love scarves, can't figure out how to wear them right! This one is soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love! I think I have the perfect pair of pants too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, thank you so much for this adorable idea! Now, those pants were pretty darn cute on their own but you definitely made them cuter...on the pup makes them cutest! I think I might even be able to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, isn't that SO clever - and ADORABLE ta boot! I'd totally sport that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo pretty, the flowers really add a visual punch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial, you made it look incredibly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this! Looks great on the dog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this lined with chartreuse would be even more stunning! I am going to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, perhaps the next scarf could use a Kelleybeads button or two?

    Going out for Mehican tonight with the kidlets. Will be toasting in your direction. Miss you guys! Sophie, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, Jennifer, I am all over the idea of lining it with green and I just happen to have green cotton!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cute! i love all the appliques!! hope all is well! susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great tutorial! I'm no good at sewing but I'm pretty sure that I can attempt this one

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dog DEFINATELY deserves a scarf!!! This is so cute!

    Lori do you use a special foot for free hand sewing like that ??? I just read something somewhere about a special attachment - just curious - of course I can't remember what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! You're back! I was wondering where everyone went. lol. Didn't realize my blog wasn't showing up.

    Anyway, no, I don't have a special foot. Know what you're referring to, but I don't have it. I think it's a free form foot - maybe?

    I just slowly twist and turn the fabric as I go. If the turn is too sharp, I pick up the foot while the needle is DOWN and turn the fabric. Put the foot back down and keep on sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Making one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Or maybe two ;-)

    You rock!

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts