product photography - changing the background


In one of my previous posts, I discussed the different options for editing your photographs. My favorite option for making an item pop is to change your background to black and white. Today I'm going to show you how this is done. It's extremely simple. Believe me, if I can manage this, anybody can.

Product Photography
Changing the Background

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

This is the original photograph. I export the photo at maximum quality and medium size.

I then go to Picnik.com and import the photo. Once imported, I click on the "Create" tab, then "Effects". Next, on the left side click "Black and White".

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

Once there, another box will pop up and you will want to click on the "Original" tab. At this point, I like to zoom in on the photo. You can do this by moving the bar in the box on the lower right side. After zooming in, go back to your pop-up box and adjust the size of your paintbrush. I also prefer to adjust the hardness of the brush so that the edges are sharper.

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

Once you've played around a bit, you'll see just how easy it is to make this change.
You can see from the pictures shown below just how much it makes your product stand out.

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler


waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler

waterstone eco recycled leather handbags & accessories by lori plyler





Comments

  1. I love that! Would it be copying??! (seriously)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debi,

    Thank you for asking. I don't think so. Anybody can do this and it's not like you're copying my bags! So I say go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add that I've gotten more help for my "competition" lately on Etsy that I'm in love with the community and all for helping one another out.

    I think we all respect the fact that, while our products are in the same category (or even a different category!), the products themselves are all different. We sell different things, so using this technique to photograph your product is not copying, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tut! Thanks Lori :)

    My captcha word is --> chnewhew This sounds like an Owen word to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your answer, I am in need of some different photo ops, kind of in a rut, that tut was really helpful!!! I have piknic and never really used it much. Maybe this will inspire me to list some bags I finished last week! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori,
    Thanks for the tips! I have wanted to do something new with my photographs and this will help out tremendously!
    Have a great week!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really looks great! I wonder if I should try this with some of my colorful frame shots?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome !!! Thanks for sharing that - I am such a computer illiterate it surprises me when anything gets done !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good tip! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the idea - I'll send you the pic that I completed using this technique! (my captcha word is "flibl"... that's a funny one)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! Always wanted to know how to do that :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts