helping others through your purchases


We're all aware of the many ways we can help others while shopping for ourselves. One wildly successful example is the "Red" campaign by Bono of U2. I'd like to show you a couple that I've recently discovered.

waterstone eco friendly recycled leather handbags and accessories by lori plyler

First, you know how I adore coffee and how at our house, we're coffee roasting freaks connoisseurs. Well, the last time I ordered my green coffee beans from my favorite fair trade coffee site, Dean's Beans, I learned that they are now selling totes,created by refugee Somali women and made from coffee bean sacks. 100% of the proceeds goes to help these women support their families. Yes, I'm steering you away from my handbags JUST THIS ONCE. By the way, Dean's Beans also sells delicious fair trade ROASTED coffee beans. It's not just for the self-roasters. Please pay Dean's Beans a visit, read about the totes and check out their fair trade coffee.

waterstone eco friendly recycled leather handbags and accessories by lori plyler
This pair is being ordered for my model this week. She's begging for them.

Have you heard of Tom's Shoes? I first saw a television commercial about this guy a couple of years ago. Now they are freakishly popular. I'll have to admit, I tried them on recently at Nordstrom and they were extremely comfy. As the site says, their company was built on one simple premise. For every pair of shoes you purchase, a new pair is given to a child in need. Kind of cool, right?

waterstone eco friendly recycled leather handbags and accessories by lori plyler
I'm ordering this pair for myself. I love them. I NEED them.

Selfish?

Maybe.

Is it okay to appeal to our hearts AND our desires to help someone in need?

It's not only okay, it's brilliant.

Some will say that you should just give the entire amount to charity and many of us already do give generously. Whether we do or don't, I still believe it's brilliant.

Have you made a purchase that simultaneously helped someone else?
Tell me about it.


Comments

  1. Lori - awesome post! Want to give a testimonial for my great new bag...my husband and I took the kids to see Lyle Lovett last night. We all like the music, but I knew I needed an arsenal of snacks and drinks for the kids since it would require sitting still way past bed time. In my new bag went 2 sodas, 1 bottle water, 1 small bottle wine, paper cups and about 8 snacks (granola bars, nuts, etc), also wallet, sunglasses, phone and the style section of the Post (Emma's input - she's into the comics lately). My new bag fit all that and still zipped, and no sign of bulging seams or strained straps. Clearly I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tom's are the best! i love that charitable organizations are becoming more and more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth,

    DANG! I can't believe you got all that in your bag! You go girl. And thanks for the amazingly sweet positive feedback.

    Second, here here on Lyle Lovett. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both the totes and the shoes. Can totally understand why your model was begging for them :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts