Indulging Creative Expression

Amazing what cleaning and organizing the studio will do for creativity. As I last reported, the studio was in dire need. So last weekend I got to work and in doing so unleashed that mind-blowing, dangerously bipolar-like episode that many artsy types know so well. Once things begin to flow you just tell everyone to step aside and wait until it passes!

Yesterday was one such day. I had the best time indulging my creativity and allowing myself (without guilt) to play. I gathered what fabric I had and decided upon the beautiful brown floral that was used to reupholster my dining room chairs. I was able to piece together enough to get a small purse and huge tote! This was one of those times that the pack rat in me paid off because I had every supply that was needed, from the toggles to the needlepoint wool.

Check it out...

Photobucket

I used green fabric to line the purse and the needlepoint wool to create the blanket and straight stitching around the edges. I had the toggles left over from a project YEARS ago - lucky break.

Photobucket


Photobucket

I used a few beads to add to one flower on the front.

Photobucket


Photobucket

The leather strap (on both the tote and purse) as well as the pocket shown here was from a leather purse I found at Goodwill some time back. I completely took it apart and cut as much leather as I could get from the original purse. Thanks to the old Singer I have, I was able to attach the leather pocket with decorative stitching. Attaching the pocket was no easy feat. It took a couple of tries because the leather was EXTREMELY soft and kept bunching.

Photobucket

The flower was made from scrap fabric and another piece of the scrap leather. I added a button to the center. (It's more green than the picture reveals.)

Photobucket

The strap was attached with an additional scrap of fabric.

Photobucket

The lining on this one was from beautiful green linen I had. I added pockets to the inside for my cell, which I absolutely HATE digging around for in large bag.

Photobucket

So, what do you think? I am bursting with pride that I was able to figure these out after so many years away from the sewing machine.

Comments

  1. both look awesome! i asked for a sewing machine for christmas, but i dont know if i'll ever have the ability to create something like that! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredibly talented and artistic. The purse and tote are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. You have truly "mad skillz" as the youth of today would say LOL.I love the purse and the Tote (I think I want the Tote)

    Thanks for sharing.My cleaning days do not end up like this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you've put my bags to shame!!! I'm glad you're not my competition on etsy!!!LOL gorgeous job!! I did have cleaning job a few weeks ago, even had my friend help reorganize, it felt soooo good! debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to clean your studio, the result is gorgeous, this purse is simply beautiful. Love the colors and the leather combined with the fabric is so lovely.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous purse!!! A tidy area does aid creativity - makes you think better... I totally relate :) Almost every day my 3 year old asks: mommy why do we have to clean up? & my answer is always: because the mess is driving mama crazy!
    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. I love homemade purses. Looks like you do quality work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful day.

Popular Posts